November 28, 2005

Here-n-there-n-back Again

Once the rest of the family and the camera makes it back to CA, we will upload some pictures, and give you a fuller description of the past few days. In the meantime, read on to find out about my return flight.

I arrived safe and sound, in Bakersfield, CA, one day later then expected. Last night, as we were on final approach, coming into Phoenix, the pilot powered back up and preformed a missed approach. We flew around the outskirts of Phoenix for about 15 minutes, not knowing what was happening. At first I was wondering if they were lowering their landing weight by jettisoning some fuel; admittedly an evidence of mismanagement, but still a possibility. But due to the length of time we stayed out there, I was starting to suspect a mechanical problem. We finally landed and the Pilot let the aircraft roll...and roll.... Bravo six, Bravo five, Bravo four, Bravo three; I watched the taxiways slip past my window. Knowing that Bravo one would indicate that a rough ride was ahead, I was glad when the pilot finally applied the brakes, and exited the runway! We taxied back slowly with minimal braking.

Once we were parked, the pilot gave a brief explanation of the odd arrival. We had experienced a hydraulic failure on short final. Large aircraft have hydraulically assisted brakes. Thank goodness for dual hydraulic pumps. Adventure number one!

Naturally, this late arrival forced me to transform my legs into a blur of motion in order to transport myself to the other side of the concourse to catch my next flight. Unfortunately, the effort didn’t pay any dividends. They had just closed the flight. Sigh.

The ticketing agent, who’s cheerful meter was running on empty, directed my fellow passengers and I to customer assistance. There were about 13 other passengers who also had late arrivals, and missed the flight to Bakersfield.

I ended up in room 125 at the Clarion Hotel, after waiting 30 minutes for the hotel shuttle that never came. (I split the cost of a taxi with some fellow passengers.) Six o’clock found me headed back to the airport in the hotel shuttle. Six thirty found me with my feet on the colored foot prints, my arms stretched out like a scarecrow, waiting for the TSA man to finish his procedure. (I was lucky enough to go through a special screening!) Nine o’clock found me on my way back to sunny CA. After more waiting, and dealing with another agent who’s cheerful meter was wavering, our group of 13 was finally able to reclaim our baggage which had arrived ahead of us, and head home.
What is the moral of the story? Always pack your tooth brush in your carry-on bag. I was glad I did something smart for once!

Thankfully, I had much to think about, many pleasant memories to reflect on and thank God for, as well as 19 fresh pages to write in my journal. (An aircraft tray table works very well for writing!) I believe that some of God’s greatest gifts are friends that encourage you, and build you up in Christ. I have a renewed vigor for life, and appreciation for God’s work in the lives of His dear ones across the country.

Check for updates regularly!

-Max

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that you made it back safely!

We will look forward to the upcoming posts.

Robb