March 26, 2006

Expository Preaching Conference


Max and I were very blessed last weekend to attend the expository preaching conference hosted by Vision Forum in Wakeforest, North Carolina. Some 25-30 men attended.


The conference was a wonderful help to me. It challenged some presuppositions I had about preaching from the past. I had a negative view of improving my "technical preaching skills". I now see the benefit of it. I will never read the scriptures in the same way. I was skeptical about the "sample sermons", but they were real and were effective, as the Word, in my own heart, even in that setting. I have been humbled and had my mind changed.


I so appreciated that these "technical skills" were firmly connected with the exhortation to seek God's face for help, illumination, and conviction. I rejoiced to see that. May the two never be separated.


We were both thankful for the opportunity to meet and connect with likeminded men. We will both benefit from these relationships.


At right is a picture of the famous swing in the Scott Brown home. We enjoyed an afternoon and evening of further discussion and fellowship, including scrambled egg sandwiches and chocolate shakes.


Together we all memorized Psalms 119:92 - Except thy law had been my delight, I would have perished in my afflictions.


Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'May the two never be separated'. Amen! Preaching would be transformed if the preacher understood the spiritual nature of his task (1 Cor 2). I enjoyed meeting you and Max. The Lord bless your family.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to have you home Dad!
Hugs and kisses,
Sally Beth