March 29, 2006

Accomplishment!

I now have the great pleasure of removing one item from my 7x7's under "Things I can't do well." However the fact that there are many more items competing for that spot eliminates any temptation to boast about it!


The one thing I can do a little better now then when I penned my 7x7's, is understand God and time (key word: little). To whom or what do I owe this elucidation? The long desired book "Time and Eternity: Exploring God's Relationship to Time," written by William Lane Craig. If you are a little strange like me, and find boring things like philosophy and logic stimulating, and if you have deep nagging questions concerning how God relates to time, I would highly recommend this book. I will spare you all the juicy details, but will leave you with Craig's conclusion, with which I concur.


"It therefore follows from our arguments that God is (present tense) in time. He exists now. But on the Christian doctrine of creation, the world had a beginning, though God did not. Did time exist prior to the moment of creation? Is God, existing alone without creation, timeless or temporal in such a state? I presented three arguments to show that (metric) time is finite in the past, so that God existing without the world must exist either in an amorphous time or, more plausibly, timelessly. In short, given the reality of tense and temporal becoming, the most plausible construal of divine eternity is that God is timeless without creation and temporal since creation."



Agreement? Disagreement? I'd like to hear your thoughts.



-Max

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max-

I'll have think about this one.

Robb

Anonymous said...

Max,
I'm so glad the Lord provided this book for you! I know this has troubled that active mind of yours for a long time, and am thankful you are finding some answers at last.
May He continue to bless you with understanding in His time,

~Sister Sal

Hubers said...

Sorry my comment won't have anything to do with your post Max. I wanted to mention that I think you have a pretty special sis...Sally's comment was so sweet.
God has truly blessed your family!

The Parish Clan said...

I can only reply with a hearty "amen" to that one.

-Max

The Parish Clan said...

Has no one any further thoughts on God and time? Surely this subject has crossed the mind of you thinkers out there!

Anonymous said...

sorry Max, I've thought quite a bit about physical time. Things like Einstein's Theory of Relativity, the rate at which light travels through different parts of the universe etc.. But as far as the philisophical aspect of time...it's a fairly new subject that I'll have to look into some more.

The Parish Clan said...

Tyler,

That aspect is quite interesting too (from my limited knowledge of it!). Craig writes at length about Einstein's different relativity theories.

-Max