December 02, 2009

Personal Holiness


December 2,2009

"It is a snare to imagine that God wants to make us perfect specimens of what He can do; God's purpose is to make us one with Himself. The emphasis of holiness movements is apt to be that God is producing specimens of holiness to put in His museum. If you go off on this idea of personal holiness, the dead-set of your life will not be for God, but for what you call the manifestation of God in your life . . . I am called to live in perfect relation to God so that my life produces a longing after God in other lives, not admiration for myself. Thoughts about myself hinder my usefulness to God. God is not after perfecting me to be a specimen in His showroom. He is getting me to the place where He can use me. Let Him do what He likes."


-My Utmost ~Oswald Chambers

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. It could not have come at a better time for me.

I so enjoy reading your blog!
:)

~Gabi

Jeremy Becker said...

"I am called to live in perfect relation to God so that my life produces a longing after God in other lives, not admiration for myself."

This is actually one that I have posted at my desk as a reminder for myself.

-jsb

{ jessica } said...

It was wonderful getting to know your family during your trip out east! The conversation we had before dinner at our place has given our family a spring board for many other like discussions. Thanks so much for coming :) and please stop by again!
Jessica for the Courter Family

The McCracken family said...

It's so sad that you lost your computer.... which may mean no blogs in the near future. We haven't blogged, either. Kind of had the wind knocked out of our blogging sails when so many of our photos were of Molly... who is no more. :-( But.... one of these days. Hope you're all well out there!
Lori

The Parish Clan said...

So good to hear from you Gabi! This quote was convicting for me as well, and timely.

Amen Mr. Becker. Thanks for your comment.

Hi Jessica! We didn't have nearly enough time together . . . I enjoyed meeting you so much!

Oh no! Don't drop out of the blogging sphere Lori! It's probably hard to update Facebook and blogger, so I understand, especially with Molly. But your blog is much too fun for your readers to abandon. :-)

Blessings to all,
~Sally