October 17, 2007

Update

Wow! These past few weeks have been blessed and busy for the Parish family! Here are a few highlights from the last two weeks:

* Tuesday is our big music day. Everybody who takes lessons of any sort takes them then. It's also the day when choir and classes of other kinds happen; all at Peoples Church! It's always a big day but very rewarding. After all the normal activities the Tuesday before last, Mrs. McCracken informed us of a special opportunity to go sing Christmas carols for a precious little nine year old (please correct me if I'm wrong about her age) girl who is struggling through a battle with Leukemia. With all the uncertainties that occur during the struggle for life, Kerrigan desperately wanted Christmas now. . . so we went caroling for her in October. Watching the shy smile that crept across her face as she stood there, so sick, touched my heart in a deep way. As we sang songs of celebration about the birth of our Saviour to that precious one who is enduring extreme pain, I rejoiced at the message of hope each hymn portrayed, but ached for her and her parents. It was a touching experience and I'm so glad we were able to be a part of it.


*Simon became an officially licensed driver! He made his first solo trip on Friday when he drove to Fresno to sing with his choir in a choir festival at Fresno State University. Unfortunately, no one was allowed to watch any of the performances, so none of his family could go to cheer him on. A great pity!

Simon behind the wheel



*With all the crisp fall weather we've been enjoying, we were finally able to start a winter garden, and bring in a large harvest from the summer plants. I began a much desired herb garden, Jeremy started a small box of his own, and Jayni planted 'her' garden of watercress by the spigot. Sometimes there is nothing so therapeutic as getting your hands in the dirt.





* Jayni is doing so well in her school. I've enjoyed helping to teach her this year, but I think she's taught me just as much as I have her.



* I recently returned home from a trip to Arizona with Daniel and Kendra. They had planned to attend the Uniting Church and Home conference in Phoenix, and invited me to come along. Jaelynn, Olivia and I stayed in the hotel together most of the time, but I still enjoyed sitting in on several sessions. What a joy to spend one on one time with my precious little nieces! As always, it was great to meet the other families there and be convicted and encouraged to live 'sola scriptoria'. Frustratingly, I didn't pack the camera with me during the trip, so don't have any pictures! Scott Brown has some wonderful posts about the conference on his blog; if you're interested check it out!

Jaelynn demonstrating her accomplished Mommy skills


*Last Wednesday, our elderly neighbor, Mr. Marxmiller joined us for lunch. He was a shop teacher in his younger days, so Jeremy learned more woodworking skills as they made an owl box together in our shop. Mom had put together some squash soup to serve but it just didn't taste right. Frantically, we tried various different things but nothing seemed to fill the empty spot in that soup! With one more thing left to try, Mom took the plunge and began dumping in spoonfuls of brown sugar. Holding our breath, we called everyone in and sat down to lunch. I'm sorry to say, the soup wasn't popular. Picture a mix between pumpkin pie and roasted squash mixed up in a hot soup. . . thanks to Mr. Marxmiller's reminder, we won't be serving it again. :-)



* Learning to drive stick-shift has been a new adventure in my life. Ha! Between jerks and stalls, I'm lucky to even get the car moving. This educational experience was forced upon me when Mom and Dad bought a Toyota Scion (otherwise known as a box on wheels :-) which is stick shift. Having no other choice, I'm learning to face my fears and keep that hand on the gear shift! Please pray for me! :-)


* Simon had another cello recital in which he played a duet with Connor McCracken. We also enjoyed performances from Nicole Werzinski and Kaylee McCracken. It was a wonderful evening of music!



Singing together at the McCracken's home after the recital. Twas' wonderful to blend our voices once again!

0 comments: